July 25, 2011

Life Goes On

It's been a while since I've written. Life has been incredibly busy. I finished EMT training, passed national registry and got licensed in the State of Michigan. I haven't even begun to try and find work as an EMT yet because I have been too busy and also plan on transferring my license, however that is possible, to the Commonwealth of Virginia. Once I get there and settled in, I will get that figured out and look for work.

At present my goal is to get my house ready to be listed so I can sell it. The housing market is awful where I live but I don't want to take a huge hit on the price. I'm going to try and be patient. That's always a challenge for me. Meanwhile there are a multitude of chores and tasks to be done. Some are purely cosmetic: small painting projects and little add-ons to make certain rooms look better. Some are definitely needed. When we moved into our house back in 1997, sometime shortly after there was a little "accident". Someone (ok it was me!) dropped a blistering hot broiler pan on the carpet in the dining room. Something in the oven had spilled over into the broiler pan and silly me thought it would be a bright idea to take it outside and spray it down with the hose before it dried on. Bad idea. Bad if your oven mitt has worn through to where basically there is little more than a smaller layer of gauze between your skin and the hot object. So at some point in my trek to the hose, I had to drop that pan. Of course it instantly melted the carpet underneath it! All these years it's been covered up with a small carpet runner. Nobody ever asked why I had a carpet runner there but I'm sure many a visitor wondered. And yes, Mike was very angry when he found out. But oh well, live and learn. And now finally that ugly scar is gone. I'm getting laminate wood flooring installed in it's place and into the kitchen and front entry way today. I know it will look so nice!

There have been other small projects I've needed someone professional to do: repair my backyard spigot that stopped working; replace the baseboard heater in the downstairs bathroom that has a lot of rust on it from moisture in the room; repair the oven door. Yes my oven door whose glass likes to sporadically fall out when you open the door. That's always a nice surprise to have a thick sheet of glass fall on your bare feet when you're trying to put something in or take something out of the oven. But I don't think my potential new owners will find that so appealing.

Some of these tasks I'm undertaking myself - repainted my front door and put on all new hardware so it pretty much looks like a brand new door now. Almost. Repaired some painting jobs. Fixing the grass. (dog pee takes its toll on grass) Some new light fixtures and ceiling fans and a new garage door openers as well but I definitely need help with those.

All in all it has been a very busy summer so far and a little exhausting. I've traveled a lot back and forth between here and Virginia several times, went to North Carolina for a week, drove my oldest daughter down to Florida to help her move and have another trip to Virginia and a trip to Florida planned for next month. In between it's been work, work, work. All these changes in my house have made me realize I'm starting life all over again. I didn't expect to but I'm up to the challenge. Hopefully my next post will be talking of the sale of the house! My fingers are crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Good for you! I hope your house sells quickly and for a great price. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete