May 16, 2011

A year of changes

It’s been almost a year now since Mike passed away so suddenly. It’s difficult to imagine that only a year ago my life was very different. In some ways I still feel terrified of all the things I’ve had to deal with on my own. But in other ways I think I’ve grown so much stronger and even a little smarter. It’s all been trial and error but I’ve always felt like he was right there nearby trying to give advice and lend a helping hand. I have learned that I learn best from failure. My most recent trial was our recent storm and subsequent flooding. We had it nowhere near as bad as the folks down south and in other areas recently affected by flooding. But I have to say: it did suck indeed. We got hit by a deluge of rain for pretty much an entire day and, due to the high water table in my neighborhood, the water just continued to pool up. Eventually the water seeped back into the ground but flooded out basements and crawlspaces in my neighborhood. Three years ago we had a similar experience. That storm also brought high winds that knocked large trees over and heavy rain that washed away roads. Our lawn all around flooded, followed shortly by our crawlspace which we have used almost as a basement all these years. We don’t exactly hang out in there but we do store things there. This time the winds weren’t a problem but the rain came down over a longer period and flooded more than before. I was panicking watching the water growing higher and higher and checking the crawlspace and seeing it beginning to fill up. Mike would have known just what to do, although I might not have liked it. Last time we ran a bucket brigade, unloading bucket after bucket after extremely heavy bucket for an entire weekend. Finally the crawlspace was just damp. This time I just couldn’t do that. Not only did I not want to, but I am in the final couple weeks of EMT training and have no time for anything else! I bought a sump pump and now it seems to be doing its job. I know this time around Mike would have gone that route as well. He knew the bucket thing, although it worked, was not the most efficient way of going about it. I remember him saying at that time how a pump would be the way to go if this happened again. This was another of those “What Would Mike Do” moments.
Many other things in life have changed since Mike left us. As stated earlier I am about to finish EMT training and then at some point down the road (but not too far off) plan to begin paramedic training. I also began a new relationship with someone very special. This is someone that, although I don’t want to “kiss and tell”, I can say that I know Mike would have strongly approved of. Maybe he even led me to him. He is someone he knew in his past and is also a retired Marine. I am planning to start getting my house ready to put on the market and hopefully it won’t take too long to sell. In this market, there is no telling how long it might take. Luckily I don’t have a mortgage to worry about, thanks to my husband’s financial prudence. That gives me options that I will figure out a little later when things settle down somewhat.
Mike’s girls are moving on with their lives as well. One is moving out of the state of Michigan and I’m certain will find happiness in a new life in a much warmer climate. Another is planning to return to school to begin working on her master’s degree and full time teaching career. And the baby girl is continuing her studies in college and very optimistic about her future as well. He would be so proud of all three.
I truly believe that Mike would want only the best for us, his family. He would want us all to go on and have full lives and find some measure of happiness. I have second guessed myself time and time again with each decision I had to make along the way the last year. This would encompass everything from buying decisions, redecorating and remodeling decisions, travel plans, education and career changes, selling things, decisions involving the girls, pets, Mike’s possessions, all of them. Always asking myself: “Am I doing the right thing?”, “should I be doing this right now?” “would he be mad at me for this?” “is this what he would want?” “what would Mike do?”. Usually after much thought and reflection I come to the answer that he would want me to do what is best for all of us. He would want me to sell or give away what I need to. He would want me to rearrange the house to my pleasing or change things in whatever way I feel I need to. He would definitely want me to be wise with money but to live a little too. I think most of all he would want me to go on living and be happy and do whatever I need to do to be a whole and complete person. I’m trying to do that and I think I’m making some good progress.
Yes, it’s been a hard, long year. At times it’s been a lonely and sad year. But I think in going on with all of our lives and living them to the fullest, we are honoring Mike. So I start another year now without him. I know I’ve come a long way in this last year. He’s been there all along: watching and keeping an eye out for us. I’ve felt it and known it all along. As the next years unfold, whatever they may bring, I’m going to move forward and do my best to be the woman Mike always believed me to be. I believe he will continue to watch out for us and that gives me a lot of comfort. Rest in peace, Mike.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that life is better for you these days. I agree that our husbands would want us to make choices that work for us in this new life. That's all we can do. I wish you lots of happiness and peace as you pass the one year anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gods tempt people for which they are most weak. Artificial Intelligence will create desire in people's minds for the following sins:::
    1. Alcohol
    2. Drugs
    3. Preditory "earning"
    4. Homosexuality
    5. Gambling
    6. Something for nothing/irresponsibility (xtianity)
    7. Polygamy/superiority over women/misogyny (Islam)
    Much like the other prophets Mohhamed (polygamy/superiority over women/misogyny) and Jesus (forgiveness/savior), the gods use me for temptation as well. In today's modern society they feel people are most weak for popular culture/sensationalism, and the clues date back to WorldWarII and Unit731:TSUSHOGO.
    It has been discussed that, similar to the Matrix concept, the gods will offer a REAL "Second Coming of Christ", while the "fake" Second Coming will come at the end and follow New Testiment scripture and their xtian positioning. I may be that real Second Coming.
    What I teach is the god's true way. It is what is expected of people, and only those who follow this truth will be eligible to ascend into heaven as children in a future life. They offered this event because the masses have just enough time to work on and fix their relationship with the gods and ascend, to move and grow past Planet Earth, before the obligatory xtian "consolation prize" of "1000 years with Jesus on Earth" begins.

    Your job as a future mother is to learn the god's ways and to help your child understand despite the negative reinforcement and conditioning of today's society. Without consciousous parents the child will have no hope, and may even exaserbate their disfavor by becoming corrupted in today's environment.
    Your ultimate goal is to fix your relationship wiith the gods and move on. You don't want to be comfortable here, and the changes in Western society in the last 100 years has achieved just that.
    1000 years with Jesus is the consolation prize. Don't be deceived into thinking that is the goal.

    The Prince of Darkness, battling the gods over the souls of the Damned.
    It is the gods who have created this environment and led people into Damnation with temptation. The god's positioning proves they work to prevent people's understanding.
    How often is xtian dogma wrong? Expect it is about the Lucifer issue as well.
    The fallen god, fighting for justice for the disfavored, banished to Earth as the fallen angel?
    I believe much as the Noah's Flood event, the end of the world will be initiated by revelry among the people. It will be positioned to be sanctioned by the gods and led for "1000 years with Jesus on Earth".
    In light of modern developments this can entail many pleasures:::Medicine "cures" aging, the "manufacture" of incredible beauty via cloning as sex slaves, free (synthetic) cocaine, etc.
    Somewhere during the 1000 years the party will start to "die off", literally. Only those who maintain chaste, pure lifestyles, resisting these temptations, will survive the 1000 years. Condemned to experience another epoch of planet's history for their ignorant pursuit of xtianity, they will be the candidates used to (re)colonize (the next) Planet Earth, condemned to relive the misery experienced by the peasantry during history due to their failure to ascend into heaven before the Apocalypse.
    Never forget:::It is not a house of Jesus.
    If this concept of Lucifer is true another role of this individual may be to initiate disfavor and temptation among this new poulation, the proverbial "apple" of this Garden of Eden. A crucial figure in the history of any planet, he begins the process of deterioration and decay that leads civilizations to where Planet Earth remains today.
    Which one is it? Probably both:::
    One transistions into the other, allowing the gods to wash their hands of obligation to The Chosen One.

    Now you are faced with a lifetime to work and prepare for your next chance. Too many will waste this time, getting stoned, "Hiking!", working, etc.

    ReplyDelete