January 17, 2011

Alone

Made it through the holidays with sanity intact. Now the new year is bringing more and more changes. Some are welcomed and some....not so much. The house has become very very quiet. Both my girls are now gone away from home and it's just me and the cats and dogs. It makes me miss Mike even more. I knew for years these days were coming but always assumed he would be there and I wouldn't need to learn to live alone.

In some ways the new quiet is welcomed because the past months have been so busy. I need now the quiet to get my head together and figure out where I go from here. For now it's back to college and an EMT course. But there is a certain position I interviewed for recently. If that comes to pass I would snatch it up in a heart beat although it will bring about a lot of changes in a big hurry.

But for now I just keep busy and try not to let the quiet times bring too much sadness. In a lot of ways I know I'm not really alone. I know he's been here all along. Sometimes probably angry at the cats running wild in his man cave, but mostly watching over things and keeping an eye out for all of us.

1 comment:

  1. It must be so hard to have an "empty nest" without Mike there with you. I'm still a few years away from that but I know how much we were looking forward to "us" time once the kids were out on their own and now it won't be anywhere near as special and anticipated (in a good way). I'm still at the stage where I relish quiet time away from my role as an only parent but it definitely is also lonely without my best friend and adored husband. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete