November 10, 2010

Veteran's Day

Just when I think I'm getting to a place when I feel I'm stronger and can move forward, I always feel that old familiar tug back on my heart again. Today was the Marine Corps birthday and tomorrow is Veteran's Day. These were two back to back days that always meant so much to him. He always proudly flew the Marine Corps flag and made sure to say "Happy Birthday" to every Marine, past or present, he met. I meant to make a trip back to cemetery today to wish my favorite Marine a happy birthday but I got too busy. I will definitely do it tomorrow, on Veteran's day.
A week or so ago I received in the mail a special memory book I wasn't expecting with spaces to record the details of the funeral and photos. It also has a lot of helpful information and comfort for those of us left behind.
My husband Mike did not die in combat or even just serving in a way, even though he served so many years in the Marine Corps and spent tours in hostile environments. He retired as decorated Sergeant Major and expected to spend the rest of his days hunting and fishing and enjoying his family. Fortunately for us we had 14 more years to do that. But sadly those years went by far too fast.
They were very turbulent at times but overall very happy. Mike was an intense person but he loved me and his girls more than anything in the world and we knew it. He was passionate about everything he got involved in. At his funeral, one of his good friends spoke of how he told him that when he died one day he'd hoped it would be after shooting a big buck or while fishing with his good friends. In the end, both turned out to be true. He had shot the "buck of a lifetime" in January and only days before his death the mount was finished and hung on the wall.

My husband loved his country and supported our troops more than anyone you will ever meet. He wanted to get involved in anything to honor our troops that have made the ultimate sacrifice and those they left behind. So on this Veteran's Day I would like to send my condolences to those widows (and children and parents) on behalf of SgtMaj Michael E Bachus, USMC (Ret.) and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment