September 7, 2010

W.W.M.D.

Frequently I have moments when I wish Mike was here because he would know just what to do. He would know how to fix something that was broken or not working right or what to do about a difficult situation. He would be the one to assemble all those things with "some assembly required". I've had a week filled with trials and tests. It started on my return from a week away to find the giant carpenter ants were back and that I had a tire that kept going flat. I knew when I started out to drive to the tire place with my almost flat tire that Mike would have had a fit. So I turned around and got help changing it out just to get me back on the road. After returning from taking care of that my garage door broke! I thought someone had shot at me when the cable snapped. Mike had fixed 3 of those 4 springs over the last 13 years and would have known exactly what to do. I also have a shower door that is broken and will no longer close. This is also something Mike had repaired a couple times. I have to ask myself: What would Mike do? Would he fix it yet again or would he decide it's time to replace it? My guess is he would try to repair it again. He would have spent a few hours working on it, maybe cursed a bit in the process, but would eventually have it functioning properly again. I'm not good at fixing things and have little mechanical aptitude so my answer is to find someone who can either repair it or install a new one. But I sure wish Mike was here to take care of it. Although I hated for things to get broken because I knew he was not going to be happy about it, I never worried about the outcome because I knew he'd take care of it. Just another thing to miss about Mike.

There are also many times when I can predict what Mike would think or say about certain things. I KNOW that he never would be happy about me spending too much money. I KNOW that he would be upset if something got broken or soiled or messed up. I KNOW that he would not like seeing any dead spots in the back yard left by the dogs ("pee spots") or holes dug up by the dogs. I can usually guess what he'd be saying (or in some cases shouting) at certain news stories. But I also know when he would want me to give certain things of his to certain people. There are items of his I know he would want passed to certain special people. Although a part of me feels weird about giving any of his things away, in most cases I think he would want that. He was generous person and always ready and willing to help out his friends, family and neighbors. So sharing his things is one is what I think Mike would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment